Appointments are available now by calling 211 and scheduling through 211 WNY. The toll-free number is 1-888-696-9211 or you can also text your zip code to 898211 (messaging and data rates apply.) A service representative will then direct you to the appropriate location to schedule your appointment. Appointments do fill up fast, so calling early to schedule is encouraged. In lieu of an appointment, taxpayers can also use the self-preparation portal at http://www.MyFreeTaxes.com
The IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) have operated for over 50 years and offer free basic tax return preparation and assistance to:
- Households who generally make $73,000 or less
- Persons with disabilities
- Limited English-speaking taxpayers and
- Persons 60 years of age and older with questions about pensions and retirement who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
Once your appointment is confirmed, please bring the following:
- Proof of identification (photo ID.)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents.
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse, and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return.
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-NEC, 1099-MISC) from all employers.
- Unemployment statement
- Interest, dividend, and brokerage statements from banks (Forms 1099.)
- Education and student loan documents (1098T, 1098E)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check.
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number.
- Form 1095-A.
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable.
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.